Second arrest made in downtown Sacramento mass shooting, police say

A second person was arrested in connection with the deadly mass shooting early Sunday morning that took the lives of six people and injured a dozen others, according to the Sacramento Police Department. The second suspect was identified as 27-year-old Smiley Martin, who was taken into custody Tuesday on charges that include possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and possession of a machine gun.Smiley Martin is the brother of the first suspect arrested, 26-year-old Dandrae Martin, police said. Smiley Martin suffered serious injuries from the shooting and is currently in a nearby hospital for treatment. He will be booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail once he is released from the hospital.Detectives have located hundreds of items of evidence, including more than 100 expanded shell casings and a stolen handgun that was found to have “been converted to a weapon capable of automatic gunfire,” police said. On Monday, Dandrae Martin was taken into custody on assault with a firearm and being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm charges, Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester told KCRA 3.| MORE | Man arrested in connection with Sacramento shooting has criminal history, court records showKCRA 3 Investigates learned Dandrae Martin has had previous run-ins with the law.Martin has been wanted in Riverside County since 2015. Jail records show he has an outstanding warrant for a misdemeanor domestic violence charge.According to court documents, Martin “inflicted bodily injury resulting in a traumatic condition” to his spouse.Martin pleaded guilty to the charge in 2014 and was sentenced to 30 days of custody and 36 months of probation.The Riverside County District Attorney’s Office confirmed to NBC News that Martin later violated two terms of probation: the community service requirement, and the 52-week class requirement.A $5,000 bench warrant was issued by the court in 2015.KCRA 3 Investigates also learned Martin spent time in an arizona jail. He was released in 2020 after serving just over a year-and-a-half for violating probation in separate felony convictions for an attempt to commit aggravated assault in 2016, and a conviction on a marijuana charge in 2018.Martin is being held in the Sacramento County Jail without bail and is scheduled to be in court on Tuesday.| MORE | What we know about the 6 people killed in downtown Sacramento mass shooting Six people were killed and 12 others were hurt by the gunfire that broke out Sunday morning in downtown Sacramento following a fight, police have said. At least seven of the people who were shot have since been released from hospitals. Lester said Monday that police now know that at least three buildings and three cars were also hit by gunfire. 38Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21DeVazia Turner, 29Police are encouraging community members to continue submitting photos or videos related to the investigation and have shared a QR code to do so. They have received more than 170 videos and photos so far.

A second person was arrested in connection with the deadly mass shooting early Sunday morning that took the lives of six people and injured a dozen others, according to the Sacramento Police Department.

The second suspect was identified as 27-year-old Smiley Martin, who was taken into custody Tuesday on charges that include possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and possession of a machine gun.

Smiley Martin is the brother of the first suspect arrested, 26-year-old Dandrae Martin, police said. Smiley Martin suffered serious injuries from the shooting and is currently in a nearby hospital for treatment. He will be booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail once he is released from the hospital.

Detectives have located hundreds of items of evidence, including more than 100 expanded shell casings and a stolen handgun that was found to have “been converted to a weapon capable of automatic gunfire,” police said.

On Monday, Dandrae Martin was taken into custody on assault with a firearm and being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm charges, Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester told KCRA 3.

| MORE | Man arrested in connection with Sacramento shooting has criminal history, court records show

KCRA 3 Investigates learned Dandrae Martin has had previous run-ins with the law.

Martin has been wanted in Riverside County since 2015. Jail records show he has an outstanding warrant for a misdemeanor domestic violence charge.

According to court documents, Martin “inflicted bodily injury resulting in a traumatic condition” to his spouse.

Martin pleaded guilty to the charge in 2014 and was sentenced to 30 days of custody and 36 months of probation.

The Riverside County District Attorney’s Office confirmed to NBC News that Martin later violated two terms of probation: the community service requirement, and the 52-week class requirement.

A $5,000 bench warrant was issued by the court in 2015.

KCRA 3 Investigates also learned Martin spent time in an Arizona prison. He was released in 2020 after serving just over a year-and-a-half for violating probation in separate felony convictions for an attempt to commit aggravated assault in 2016, and a conviction on a marijuana charge in 2018.

Martin is being held in the Sacramento County Jail without bail and is scheduled to be in court on Tuesday.

| MORE | What we know about the 6 people killed in downtown Sacramento mass shooting

Six people were killed and 12 others were hurt by the gunfire that broke out Sunday morning in downtown Sacramento following a fight, police have said. At least seven of the people who were shot have since been released from hospitals.

Lester said Monday that police now know that at least three buildings and three cars were also hit by gunfire.

The coroner’s office in Sacramento County identified the three men and three women who were killed on Monday as:

  • Johntaya Alexander, 21
  • Melinda Davis, 57
  • Sergio Harris, 38
  • Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32
  • Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21
  • DeVazia Turner, 29

Police are encouraging community members to continue submitting photos or videos related to the investigation and have shared a QR code to do so. They have received more than 170 videos and photos so far.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

.

Leave a Comment